ParentReadingCoach™ is informed by an evidence-based approach that provide the early literacy foundation skills and guidance for parents, caregivers, and teachers/tutors to teach students how to read. It is a series of 8 basic/foundational training videos that provide a structure and scope and sequence to parents and caregivers vested in teaching how to read the knowledge and tools.
Parent Reading Coach™ offers parents 3 different levels of involvement based upon their interest and time limitations.
HIGHLY INVOLVED: Use the Training Manuals to guide you and your child through the reading instruction program. Watch the training videos. Use the online reading application as supplemental learning exercises.
INVOLVED: Watch the training videos. Use the online application as a learning exercises to build the foundations of reading. Spend a significant amount of time on the printed reading practice exercises/assessments with your child.
LIMITED INVOLVEMENT: Use the online application as learning exercises to build the foundations of reading. Spend as much time as possible on the printed reading practice exercises/assessments with your child.
Parent Reading Coach™ Practice Application is organized into a three step learning process.
The First Step: The child listens as he/she is instructed on the sounds and word formation.
The Second Step: The child matches sounds of letters/words by selecting letters/words from a variety of choices. In essence, selecting letters/words from a variety of choices, replicates the reading process in which the student/child has to “sound out” the letter/word.
The Third Step: The child spells letters/words when instructed by dragging letters into predetermined blank spaces. In essence, this step both reinforces the reading process in which the student/child “sounds out” a word AND spells the word demonstrating mastery of the letter sound and word formation process.
LEVELS AND TUTORIALS
Parent Reading Coach™ is organized into 8 levels that systematically builds upon a student/child’s mastery of the previous reading skill sets. Levels 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 essentially are composed of 2 levels, teaching the same skill set, but categorized as “flows”. The student/child must complete flow 1 before advancing to flow 2 activities.
AT EACH LEVEL IS A TUTORIAL VIDEO. This tutorial is targeted for the parent/teacher and is in the format of a short training video. Essentially it provides the parent with the logic behind the construction of the english reading building blocks. WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE PARENTS TO WATCH THE VIDEO WITH THEIR CHILD/STUDENT BEFORE STARTING THE ACTIVITIES.
Altogether, Parent Reading Coach™ takes a student/child through 13 reading building blocks leading to his/her ability to read most English language words. Upon completion of the activities in each step ParentReadingCoach™ sends the parent an email to assess mastery before the student/child can move onto the next level. MASTERY ASSESSEMENT GUIDES are in the parent log-in platform in the form of PDF files. Note: A parent can bypass this process by simply logging on and assigning the student a new level.
We strongly recommend that the parent print out the MASTERY ASSESSMENT GUIDES and do them WITH the student/child. Key to success in the reading process is having a student/child practice the skills into a “pencil/paper” environment.
- Association of consonants and vowels with sounds.
- Joining of beginning consonants with short vowels.
- Joining of beginning and end consonants with short vowels.
- Association of blends with sounds. Two levels/flows. Flow 1 teaches the blend sounds. Flow 2 combines blend sounds with vowels into words
- Joining of digraphs with short vowel. Two levels/flows. Flow 1 teaches the digraph sounds. Flow 2 combines digraph sounds with vowels into words
- Silent E Rule. Two levels. Flow 1 teaches the silent e rule. Flow 2 has student practice the application of reading silent e words
- Vowel Reference Card: Two levels. Flow 1 teaches the remaining vowel sounds. Flow 2 combines vowel sounds into words. At this level we STRONGLY RECOMMEND WATCHING THE TUTORIAL VIDEO WITH THE CHILD AS KEY TO OUR METHOD IS THE STUDENT/CHILD USING THE VOWEL REFERENCE CARD TO UNDERSTAND THE FORMATION OF WORDS. THERE IS ALSO A LINK TO THE VOWEL REFERENCE CARD THAT THE STUDENT/CHILD CAN USE AT ANY TIME TO HELP HIM/HER READ A WORD.
- Reading Multi-syllable Words.